Hi. Since I haven't used meta tags for years now (don't like them:) I
can't help you there, but instead, here's a typical login/redirect PHP
page of mine. As you can see, it doesn't matter if the login form is at
the bottom of the page, or even if it's after an included header file as
long the form points to $PHP_SELF:

session_start();

if ($username && $pass)
{
        $db_conn = mysql_connect("localhost", "admin", "password");

        mysql_select_db("db_name", $db_conn);

        $query = "SELECT * FROM table_name WHERE username = '$username'
AND             password = password('$pass')";

        $result = mysql_query($query, $db_conn);

        if (mysql_num_rows($result) > 0)
        {
                $row = mysql_fetch_array($result);
                if ($row['devlevel'] == '2')
                {
                        $valid_admin = $row['devfirst'];
                        session_register("valid_admin");
                        header("Location: ../admin/index.php");
                        exit;
                }
                else if ($row['devlevel'] == '1')
                {
                        $valid_user = $row['devid'];
                        session_register("valid_user");
                        header("Location: index.php");
                        exit;
                }
                else
                {
                        header("Location: ../jumpto.php?fetch=devent");
                        exit;
        else
        {
                header("Location: ../jumpto.php?fetch=devent");
                exit;
else
{
        header("Location: ../jumpto.php?fetch=devent");
        exit;
}

Like this, I can diferenciate the users by fetching the "devlevel"
number from the same DB that the user was authenticated from.

HTH, C.