PHP can't help here -- you should do a search on the web for "liquid"
website designs, or check out / borrow some code from other sites you've
seen work.

Although not valid, I've seen height="100%" work on 1000's of sites.
Combined with a CSS statement, you should be able to cover all browsers.

Justin