I have a user authentication system using sessions
it checks username and password against a database.
if correct it sets a variable in the session cookie (via $_SESSION) and
redirects to the protected page which checks for that variable.
if the user/pass is wrong it redirects to an error page.
if it gets to the protected page and the variable isnt set it redirects back
to the login page.

it works when uploaded to a server Linux, Apache/1.3.24, PHP 4.1.2.
register_globals=on

but on my local server Windows NT, Apache/2.0.39, PHP 4.2.1 using a patched
Apache 2.0 Filter, register_globals=on. It seems to redirect back to the
login page.

thanks