When they say, "install it on your workstation" are you sure they mean your
desktop computer?
phpMyAdmin is not a normal install on your desktop (unless you run a server
with PHP and MySQL on your desktop, which you may do)

It's very straight-forward to install phpMyAdmin on your web site.  And yes,
there are severe security implications to consider.  You should protect the
phpMyAdmin install with either an .htaccess file, or using the
"authentication method" to "http" of phpMyAdmin (I'm not sure that's exactly
what it's called... but it's close)

If you leave the install of phpMyAdmin unprotected, your database is
completely vulnerable.

Does this help?
-Mark