A new line is NOT a <br> or <br /> in HTML.

Assuming this output is for HTML (browser) purposes, the browser will ignore
newlines.

<?php
echo 'this is first line<br>second line<br>third line'; // works for HTML
?>
Will print...

this is first line
second line
third line

... to the browser.

If you have a $string with \n's in it, you can convert these to <br />'s
with the function nl2br():

<?
// with newlines typed in, will work in email and text files:
$string = 'this is first line\nsecond line\nthird line';

// convert \n's to <br>'s for HTML output
$string_html = nl2br($string);

// newlines done with hitting return will work in email and txt files
$string = 'this is first line
second line
third line';

// convert \n's to <br>'s for HTML output
$string_html = nl2br($string);

?>

Think about it -- this HTML...

<P>
something
something
something
</P>

... will output somethingsomethingsomething to the browser, because browsers
ignore newlines, tabs, and other whitespace in text.  On the other hand,
this HTML...

<P>
something<br>
something<br>
something
</P>

... would achieve three separate lines, so you need to do the same thing
when echoing.

HTH

Justin French