okay... if register_globals is off then your session handling is going to
change dramatically.

You can read more on it here:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.session.php

Basically, You still use session_start(); at the top of your page, but you
never use session_register, session_is_registered, or session_unregister.

To register a variable in a session use:
$_SESSION['user'] = $username;
or you can use multi-dimensional arrays... recommended to help keep
organized.
$_SESSION['user']['username'] = $username;
$_SESSION['user']['pasword'] = $password;

You can also use $HTTP_SESSION_VARS. I'm not quite sure if there is any
major difference in the two except that $_SESSION is new post ver 4.0.6

To end a session simply
$_SESSION = array();
session_destroy();

Jim Grill