try nedit from nedit.org
you can download the patterns from the site to do php syntax highlight..

I have combined it with cervisia from kde 3 and made it look smth like an IDE
:) .. and I've been working 4-6 hours per day for about half an year with it
with no problems.

I also have tried Quanta but it is too huge for nothing... but if you need
syntax completion maybe you should take a look at it.

Good luck in your open source trip ;)

--
Negrea Mihai
web: http://www.negrea.net