You are mixing up some things here.  JSP is server-side Java, applets are
client-side.  The two have very little to do with each other.  You can use
PHP and still send a Java applet to the browser, for example.

But if you are asking if doing client-side graphics with a java applet is
faster or slower than doing server-side graphics with PHP, then I'd say
the PHP version is likely yo always be faster as there is no applet
machine is beefier than the client machines out there.  But you are really
comparing very different things here.

-Rasmus