Yes, the strings are formatted exactly like GET strings, but you'll have
to build the whole HTTP header in front of them in order to get a valid
HTTP request. So then, your code should look something like

$myvar1=rawurlencode($myvar1);
$myvar2=rawurlencode($myvar2);
$parsed="myvar1=$myvar1&myvar2=$myvar2";
$len=strlen($parsed)
$request="POST $request_path HTTP/1.0\r\n".
          "Connection: Keep-Alive\r\n".
          "\r\n".         // This separates the header from the content
          $parsed;

After that, you send $request.

Bogdan