Dan,

    thank you for asking, i can actually connect to db2 via command line no
problem, i can even connect to the database via TCP/IP using the IBM DB2
Run-Time Client on a Win32 machine. Just having a problem with PHP
seemingly.

    it's possible that i can't connect because it doesn't seem that i have
the DB2 Connect software installed according to ./db2setup........ could
that be possible?

__________________________________ connecting via CLP....
[auser@ndn auser]$ su db2inst1
Password:
[db2inst1@ndn auser]$ db2 connect to thedb
   Database Connection Information

 Database server        = DB2/LINUX 7.2.0
 SQL authorization ID   = DB2INST1
 Local database alias   = THEDB

            thanks again,

                    -Doug

"Dan Vande More" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
Doug, can you log in via plain db2 in linux (sorry if you said you could, I
didnt read that far back).

Heres what I do:

*********************
[root@somelinuxbox /root]# su - db2inst1
[db2inst1@somelinuxbox db2inst1]$ /usr/IBMdb2/V7.1/bin/db2
(c) Copyright IBM Corporation 1993,2001
Command Line Processor for DB2 SDK 7.2.0

You can issue database manager commands and SQL statements from the command
prompt. For example:
    db2 => connect to sample
    db2 => bind sample.bnd

For general help, type: ?.
For command help, type: ? command, where command can be
the first few keywords of a database manager command. For example:
 ? CATALOG DATABASE for help on the CATALOG DATABASE command
 ? CATALOG          for help on all of the CATALOG commands.

To exit db2 interactive mode, type QUIT at the command prompt. Outside
interactive mode, all commands must be prefixed with 'db2'.
To list the current command option settings, type LIST COMMAND OPTIONS.

For more detailed help, refer to the Online Reference Manual.

db2 => CONNECT TO MYDB2DB user MICHAEL
Enter current password for MICHAEL:

   Database Connection Information

 Database server        = OS/400 4.4.0