http://promoxy.mirrors.phpclasses.org/search.html?words=whois&go_search=1

http://promoxy.mirrors.phpclasses.org/browse.html/package/360.html

> The Whois class uses one simple method for looking up almost all domain
> names accross the globe

There you go. Register with phpclasses.org, costs nothing for now. Take a look at how
the guy did his. If it works, be happy. If you
reckon it could be better you might want to enter into a dialogue with the author. Try
to avoid spinning your own wheels when others
have already done so.

And here is another one:

http://pear.php.net/package-info.php?pacid=13

> The PEAR::Net_Whois class provides a tool for querying Whois Servers

Peter