My Web hosting company has just withdrawn (with no notice) support for PHP
extensions on the grounds they represent security risks and they don't wish
to spend time and effort in evaluating and compensating for those risks.

I'd welcome views on how reasonable this is.

The extension I'm mainly concerned about is GD, which I rely on for
interactive mapping functionality. I find it hard to see how this is a
security risk, but I'm no expert and prepared to be enlightened.

Many thanks

Alan Hale
---