I am looking for an example of conditional menus using PHP / mySQL to
populate the options and values of the menus and java to change these
properties with out needing to submit the form to update it.

Here is the best, closest example I could find using a static page:

http://www.webreference.com/js/tips/020112.html

I am looking to create a set of popup menus via PHP and mySQL such as:

<FORM NAME="menu">
<SELECT NAME="menu1" onChange="somejavascript()">
<OPTION VALUE="1" SELECTED>Animal
<OPTION VALUE="2">Vegetable
<OPTION VALUE="3">Mineral
</SELECT>

<SELECT NAME="menu2">
<OPTION VALUE="1.1" SELECTED>Cat
<OPTION VALUE="1.2">Dog
<OPTION VALUE="1.3">Horse
</SELECT>
</FORM>

The idea being that when I change menu1 the choices on menu2 change
accordingly. Menu1 is easy.  The java script to make menu2 is where I am
lost.  The link above is great but it does not address setting the values of
menu2.  Also the java uses the text of menu1 not the values (1,2,3 etc).
These values are the id values from my mySQL DB and make the queries easier.

Any ideas / examples out there?