At 06:03 29/8/2002 -0400, David T-G wrote:

 > Frank, et al --
 > ..and then Frank said...
 > %
 > % Hi,
 > %
 > % when logging in with username and password with the good old "Require
user"
 > % mechanism in Apache I could earlier see the name of the user logging
in as
 > % $REMOTE_USER.
 > This sort of thing has come up on the list frequently.
 > You should set
 > register_globals = on
 > in your php.ini file and kick your web server.
 >
 > HTH & HAND

But! Two things:

1. register_globals were already turned on
2. Surely the PHP designers would not force users to have such a major
security advantage turned off for getting a variable that is a true apache-var?

So problems remains: Where did the REMOTE_USER go?

I am BTW running Apache 2.0 with PHP 4.2.2 as a CGI-module. When it worked
last time I was "only" running Apache 1.3.26. Maybe the Apache-guys changed
something?! Could be a RTFM-case...

Well, probably I should drop using Apache's old auth-sceme and run all in
PHP anyway.

Thank you for the input.

Best

Frank