> as each one I want to delete will be the smallest ID number
> (as it grows with each message added to it).

I think you mean the lowest ID in the table and I suppose you're looking for
a MySQL query. As of MySQL version 4 (currently in development) you can use
"delete from <tablename> where id in (select min( id ) from <tablename>);".

I suppose you're not working with the development version of MySQL. For
MySQL 3.x you will have to use two queries:
- select min(id) from <tablename>
- delete from <tablename> where id=<min(id)>

Unfortunatly it's not possible to do "delete from <tablename> where
id=min(id), because the min-function is a so called "group" function.

Grtz Erwin