John,

This is the output:
Resource id #15
or some other seemingly arbitrary Resource ID number?
First of all what is a resource ID and second how do I get it to actually
show what I am trying to get it to show!

=When MySQL returns data to PHP, the information is put into a variable
called a "resource" special data type. When you attempt to treat this as if
it were a string data type, all that it 'reveals' is the ResouceID (as you
have found).

=Please return to the manual, re-read the MySQL_query entry, and then move
on to the MySQL_fetch_... series of functions. These are designed to extract
(most usually) a row of data at a time from the ResourceID/MySQL resultset
and make it available to your PHP script - examples given in the annotated
manual.

Regards,
=dn