php-general Digest 1 Sep 2002 21:23:17 -0000 Issue 1560

Topics (messages 114818 through 114850):

Re: problem with links
        114818 by: CHAILLAN Nicolas

Re: image manipulation
        114819 by: CHAILLAN Nicolas
        114833 by: Andre Dubuc

Re: UPDATE Query
        114820 by: Tony Harrison
        114828 by: Brian J. Celenza

Word docs
        114821 by: DC
        114822 by: Justin French

Re: suggestion for .hinge
        114823 by: Justin French
        114824 by: Justin French

Safe mode? <newbie alert!>
        114825 by: Ryan A
        114829 by: . Edwin

Re: alter switch variable inside case?
        114826 by: . Edwin

Setting HTACCESS user/pass with php?
        114827 by: Brian J. Celenza
        114834 by: eriol
        114849 by: CHAILLAN Nicolas

Edwin->Re: [PHP] Safe mode? <newbie alert!>
        114830 by: Ryan A

Excel sheets
        114831 by: -C-
        114837 by: robert mischke

Q:Making an 'expired event' for sessions
        114832 by: Mehran Ziadloo
        114838 by: robert mischke
        114848 by: Mehran Ziadloo

getimagesize with image in database
        114835 by: Chuck Barnett
        114839 by: CHAILLAN Nicolas

Re: getimagesize with image in database clairifation
        114836 by: Chuck Barnett

Imagemangick, can I install on a virtual host?
        114840 by: Al

RE : [PHP] RE : include interpreted php file
        114841 by: you

auction scripts?
        114842 by: jaxon
        114843 by: JohnP

PHP shopping
        114844 by: Ryan A
        114847 by: CHAILLAN Nicolas

str_replace question
        114845 by: Gregor Jak¹a
        114846 by: CHAILLAN Nicolas

addslashes($variable)?
        114850 by: cLeAnEr

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--- Begin Message ---
If you use global variables in your scripts, please put register global on
into php.ini.

--
Merci de nous avoir choisi. - Thanks you for your choice.
Nicos - CHAILLAN Nicolas
"Brad Lahr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit dans le message de news:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> I compiled php on a linux machine and am experiencing problems whith
> links.
>
> going to www.domainname.com/index.php in a browser works fine.
> Clicking on links on this page such as
> www.domainname.com/?page=team&teamcode=4938412 just sends me back to the
> main www.domainname.com page.
>
> Did a forget to compile in a specific feature of php or apache?
>
> Here is the commands I used when compiling php and apache.
>
> cd php-4.2.2
> ./configure --with-apache=/usr/local/src/apache_1.3.26
> make
> make install
>
> *** added AddModule modules/php4/libphp4.a  to
> apache_1.3.26/src/configuration  ***
>
> cd /usr/local/src/apache_1.3.26
> ./configure --activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a
> make
> make install
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.  I apoligize iin advance for being such
> a newbie.
>
> Brad

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Here is the list of the PHP's images functions:
      http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.image.php
You can look at filesize and getimagesize for the size / height width.
For the second question, I dont know look at the list.

--
Merci de nous avoir choisi. - Thanks you for your choice.
Nicos - CHAILLAN Nicolas
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.GroupAKT.com - Hébergement Group.
www.WorldAKT.com - Hébergement de sites Internet
"Tux" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit dans le message de news:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Hey all,
>
> I was just wondering if anyone could recommend any tutorials or books or
> functions i should look into, to do the following:
>
> - decrease the size(kilobytes wise not height/width) of an image
> - imprint a transparent logo onto every picture displayed
>
> any feedback greatly appreciated.
>
> jo

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi tux,

For your second question, try:

http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/July2001/article211.shtml

It'll give some basci info on image manipulation using ImageMagick.

Hth,
Andre

On Sunday 01 September 2002 01:19 pm, tux wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I was just wondering if anyone could recommend any tutorials or books or
> functions i should look into, to do the following:
>
> - decrease the size(kilobytes wise not height/width) of an image
> - imprint a transparent logo onto every picture displayed
>
> any feedback greatly appreciated.
>
> jo
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
What about multiple tables? Can that be done?

"Mark Charette" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> No, only one db at a time may be updated. The "where" clauses can contain
> multiple db.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Try changing your query to this: UPDATE news_db, newsreferenz_db SET
news_db.head = 'DFB Pokalasfasf', news_db.text = 'alkfhaslk fl akshf lakshf
lkahs lfk aslf yxvyxvyxvyxv', newsreferenz_db.kat_id = '3' WHERE (news_db.id
= '6' AND newsreferenz_db.news_id = '6')

Adding the ()'s around the WHERE definition is essential in an update query,
although I have no clue why.

"Sascha Braun" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
000c01c25142$b4d1b990$0f00a8c0@squitta">news:000c01c25142$b4d1b990$0f00a8c0@squitta...
I want to know if its possible to update two databases with one query?

Please look at this example:

UPDATE news_db, newsreferenz_db SET news_db.head = 'DFB Pokalasfasf',
news_db.text = 'alkfhaslk fl akshf lakshf lkahs lfk aslf yxvyxvyxvyxv',
newsreferenz_db.kat_id = '3' WHERE news_db.id = '6' AND
newsreferenz_db.news_id = '6'

it doesn't work.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi,

I have 200 items in a mysql database.
Each has a word document with the path:

Assets/Reports/Docname.doc

How do I  open the word doc that is specific to the particular item?

Thanks

david
php novice

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi,

What's your definition of "open the word doc"?

Do you want to parse the contents of the Word Doc into a var?
Do you want to produce a link on the page TO the word doc?

Please be more specific -- it helps us give better answers.

Justin French

on 01/09/02 9:11 PM, DC ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have 200 items in a mysql database.
> Each has a word document with the path:
>
> Assets/Reports/Docname.doc
>
> How do I  open the word doc that is specific to the particular item?
>
> Thanks
>
> david
> php novice

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I go this email to my hinge address...

I guess they want .h stubby holders!!

----------
From: "Karen and Jimmy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 21:20:17 +1000
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

stubbie holders!!!!!

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Apologies to the list -- I *totally* sent this to the wrong mailgroup!!!!

sorry!

Justin

on 01/09/02 10:00 PM, Justin French ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> I go this email to my hinge address...
>
> I guess they want .h stubby holders!!

> ----------
> From: "Karen and Jimmy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 21:20:17 +1000
> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> stubbie holders!!!!!

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi Everyone,
I have a small question and just need some general direction, tried the
mothership(google) but got too many results and got more confused.....

What is safe mode?

If you have any URL or file that can explain it kindly give it to me...
cheers and thanks again,
-Ryan.
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Try the "mothership" again and type

  php and "safe mode"

Click "Search". The first two results:

  http://www.dynamic-webpages.de/php/features.safe-mode.php
  http://info.ccone.at/INFO/PHP4/features.safe-mode.html

You can read only ONE so as not to get more confused... :)

- E

PS
Of course, you can the info here as well:
  http://www.php.net/manual/en/features.safe-mode.php

>Hi Everyone,
>I have a small question and just need some general direction, tried the
mothership(google) but got too many results and got more confused.....

>What is safe mode?
>
>If you have any URL or file that can explain it kindly give it to me...
>cheers and thanks again,
>-Ryan.

$B$+$o$$$/$FL{2w$J%$%i%9%HK~:\(B MSN $B%-%c%i%/%?!<(B http://character.msn.co.jp/
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I'm not sure if you've already tried the idea I posted earlier. Anyway, I
tried it myself and it works! (At least with this simple example...)

<!-- whatevername.php -->
<?php
  echo 'myvar BEFORE the switch : ' . $_GET['myvar'];
  echo '<hr />';
  switch ($_GET['myvar']){
    case 1: $_GET['myvar'] = 2;
        case 2: echo "Hello!<br />"; break;
        case 3: $_GET['myvar'] = 4;
        case 4: echo "Hello again!<br />"; break;
  }
  echo '<hr />';
  echo 'myvar AFTER the switch : ' . $_GET['myvar'];
?>
<!-- end of whatevername.php -->

Try it. For example,

  http://www.your_domain_name.com/whatevername.php?myvar=1

will change myvar to 2 and will echo "Hello!" (without executing the other
"cases"). Then,

  http://www.your_domain_name.com/whatevername.php?myvar=3

will change myvar to 4 and will echo "Hello again!".

As you can see, the key is using "break" ONLY in places you want to
"break"...

So, setting the variable in the first (or third) case CAN "cause execution
of the second [or fourth] case segment".

- E

>Could you elaborate?
>
>In the example I posted, setting
>foo=step1 in the first case segment does NOT cause
>execution of the second case segment, as would be the
>case if it was actually re-evaluating the match upon
>subsequent case statements.
>
>--- CHAILLAN Nicolas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Yes you can.
> >
> > --
> > Merci de nous avoir choisi. - Thanks you for your choice.
> > Nicos - CHAILLAN Nicolas
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > www.GroupAKT.com - H$BqC(Bergement Group.
> > www.WorldAKT.com - H$BqC(Bergement de sites Internet
> > "Joe Janitor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a $BqD(Brit dans le message de news:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > I'd like to be able to modify the switch variable inside a case
> > > statement, like this:
> > >
> > > switch ($foo) {
> > >   case 'step2':
> > >     do_step2();
> > >     if ($error) $foo='step1'; //repeat step1
> > >   break;
> > >
> > >   case 'step1':
> > >     do_step1();
> > >   break;
> > >
> > >   case 'a_third_thing':
> > >     do_something_else();
> > >   break;
> > > }
> > >
> > > Can you modify the variable ($foo) inside a case statement and
> > > have it evaluated for subsequent 'case's like this? If not, I
> > > will have to revert to a series of if statements, in which this can
> > > be done:
> > >
> > > if ($foo=='step2') {
> > >   do_step2();
> > >   if ($error) $foo='step1';
> > > }
> > > if ($foo=='step1') {
> > >   do_step1();
> > > }
> > > etc.
> > >
> > > Switch-case seems cleaner, and I'd prefer to stick with it.

$B%O%$%;%s%9$J>&IJ$r5$7Z$K9XF~(B MSN $B%7%g%C%T%s%0(B http://shopping.msn.co.jp/
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Is it possible to set, delete, or alter htaccess usernames and passwords
using a php script? If so, where might I find a reference to the code for it
or even a walkthrough? I have searched the php functions and I haven't found
anything like that.

Thank you in advance.

Brian J. Celenza
Chief Design Architect - Millennium Dreamworks
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ: 100942424
AIM: BJCKnight

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
http://www.hido.net/projects/htadmin/

That may be what you're looking for.. Searching google for "php user
authentication htaccess" turns up several more results.. HTH..

Take care.. peace..
eriol

====

"Brian J. Celenza" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> disgorged:

: Is it possible to set, delete, or alter htaccess usernames and passwords
: using a php script? If so, where might I find a reference to the code for it
: or even a walkthrough? I have searched the php functions and I haven't found
: anything like that.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi,

Note that it is just a fileaccess, you can use htpasswd to put a password to
the correct file, you can make your own class easily if you know how to
parse a file and write in it. You can use exec() to make an
apache/bin/htpasswd call assuming you're using apache.

--
Merci de nous avoir choisi. - Thanks you for your choice.
Nicos - CHAILLAN Nicolas
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.GroupAKT.com - Hébergement Group.
www.WorldAKT.com - Hébergement de sites Internet
"Brian J. Celenza" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit dans le message de
news: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Is it possible to set, delete, or alter htaccess usernames and passwords
> using a php script? If so, where might I find a reference to the code for
it
> or even a walkthrough? I have searched the php functions and I haven't
found
> anything like that.
>
> Thank you in advance.

> Brian J. Celenza
> Chief Design Architect - Millennium Dreamworks
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> ICQ: 100942424
> AIM: BJCKnight

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hey,
Thanks for the reply,
what you sent me I had already read on other sites....I just didnt
understand them!
I basically wanted a longer explanation.....

Thanks anyway,
-Ryan.

> You can read only ONE so as not to get more confused... :)
>
> - E
>
> PS
> Of course, you can the info here as well:
>   http://www.php.net/manual/en/features.safe-mode.php
>

> >Hi Everyone,
> >I have a small question and just need some general direction, tried the
> mothership(google) but got too many results and got more confused.....
> >
> >What is safe mode?
> >
> >If you have any URL or file that can explain it kindly give it to me...
> >cheers and thanks again,
> >-Ryan.

> $B$+$o$$$/$FL{2w$J%$%i%9%HK~:\(B MSN $B%-%c%i%/%?!<(B http://character.msn.co.jp/

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hey,
sorry if this has already been answered somewhere, but I cant find a clear
answer to this question.

I have multiple xls files with 4 sheets a piece. I need to load them into
either mysql or directly php.
>From what I understand I could simply save as text file tab delimited, but I
need something automatic.
These xls sheets will be updated at random, and I will need the most current
version avalible online.

Any comments would be welcome.

-C-

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
hi

take a look at http://phpclasses.org
as far as I remember there are some excel classe

robert

> Hey,
> sorry if this has already been answered somewhere, but I cant
> find a clear answer to this question.
>
> I have multiple xls files with 4 sheets a piece. I need to
> load them into either mysql or directly php. From what I
> understand I could simply save as text file tab delimited,
> but I need something automatic. These xls sheets will be
> updated at random, and I will need the most current version
> avalible online.
>
> Any comments would be welcome.
>
> -C-

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Well since I was working with ASP before PHP, there's an event for sessions
when they start and when they expire in ASP. Well in PHP I can put an IF
statement to check if my variables are set or not for on_start event. But
what should I do to have an event for the time they expire?

Thanks for your help.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
hi

in php.ini you can control behavior of sessions,
for example (take a look for you self;)
 -> session.gc_maxlifetime = 1440,
in script you you may use ini_set for "dynamic control"

hope this is the right direction ..

robert

> Von: Mehran Ziadloo [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>
> Well since I was working with ASP before PHP, there's an
> event for sessions when they start and when they expire in
> ASP. Well in PHP I can put an IF statement to check if my
> variables are set or not for on_start event. But what should
> I do to have an event for the time they expire?
>
> Thanks for your help.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi
Thanks for replying,
There are some settings for sessions in php.ini but I can't find the thing
that I'm looking for.
It should exist, I mean isn't there any one who needs to know when the
session has expired?
Once again I ask my question:
How to make a session_on_end event in php?
Any help will be appreciated.

"Robert Mischke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
001601c251db$9877c930$6364a8c0@fatalerror">news:001601c251db$9877c930$6364a8c0@fatalerror...
> hi
>
> in php.ini you can control behavior of sessions,
> for example (take a look for you self;)
>  -> session.gc_maxlifetime = 1440,
> in script you you may use ini_set for "dynamic control"
>
> hope this is the right direction ..
>
> robert

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi, I'm trying to get an image size from an image in a database.

here's my code
$imagesize = getimagesize(http://domain/image.jpg);
echo $imagesize[3];

but it returns nothing.  If I use a local file, without http  it works.

I have php 4.0.6

any suggestions.

Thanks,
Chuck
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi,

There is no way to get the filesize of a file using a remote file. You
should download it to a tmp directory then check. If it is get with an http
server, you should code something with sockets to ask to the http server the
filesize using a request.

--
Merci de nous avoir choisi. - Thanks you for your choice.
Nicos - CHAILLAN Nicolas
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.GroupAKT.com - Hébergement Group.
www.WorldAKT.com - Hébergement de sites Internet
"Chuck Barnett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit dans le message de news:
006901c251d8$3ce1ec20$[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Hi, I'm trying to get an image size from an image in a database.

here's my code
$imagesize = getimagesize(http://domain/image.jpg);
echo $imagesize[3];

but it returns nothing.  If I use a local file, without http  it works.

I have php 4.0.6

any suggestions.

Thanks,
Chuck

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
in my example I'm not pulling from a db.  It does not even work like I have
it in my example though.

Thanks,
Chuck