Perhaps the best thing to do would be to wait for PHP 4.3, which will
offer out-of-the-box OS X support. I have compiled the latest dev
releases with no problems or workarounds on OS X.

However, I do have step-by-step instructions for compiling PHP 4.2.x on
OS X, but depending on the libraries you need to link in, you may or
may not have success. For example, I have never been able to get
--with-imap to work on anything less than 4.3 (dev).

If you can't wait the few days that it will supposedly take for 4.3 to
be released, and you'd like a copy of my notes, let me know and I'll
send them to you.

-michael