The best way IMHO, to debug problems like this is to echo out your
insert query to the screen and not actually run the query, or run it and
make sure you use:
$sql = "INSERT INTO employees (first,last,address,position) VALUES
('$first','$last','$address','$position')";
$result = mysql_query($sql)
or die("Invalid query: $sql");

(This is always good practice anyways, especially if the page depends
upon that query's execution)

Anyhow, echo out the query: $sql to the screen and then run it against
your actual MySQL database and see how it responds?  Chances are there
is some error there, and you'll get more meaningful feedback from the
database backend.

HTH
-Brad