There really isn't a great solution for this, that I know of. It's one of
the few things that makes an argument for ASP over PHP, as far as I'm
concerned (if you have the luxury of choosing). Below is what I did once to
try to get around the problem. It worked *okay*.

The bummer is that I had to ask people to enter the size of their file in a
field. (Rough estimates were okay.) Then, as soon as somebody hit the submit
button on my form, I popped up a small, modal, progress bar sized window
that was actually two frames. I passed the file size value from the form
field to the top frame. In the bottom frame, JavaScript created a bordered
The top frame, a PHP doc, would then refresh every three seconds, executing
a filesize() on the uploaded file, converting it to MB, rounding up, and
then using DHTML to resize the width of a blue-gradient gif contained in the

Typically, this worked okay for me. It wasn't the prettiest progress bar in
the world, but it did the trick for most people.

HTH!
Jed