Of course they may not always know that the user would insert a '$' or a
'.' which is what you are keying off of.  I am not all that familiar
with ereg* functions, I might attack it with stepping through charater
by charater and is is_numeric($c) returns true, place it applend it to
another variable, which at the end would have strictly the numbers...
That would be my initial approach, but I'm sure there are many,many
others...
-Brad