if this is your SPECIFIC problem, putting a space at the beginning of $srch
will help, eliminating XAVAILABLE... but this will cause a problem with the
word AVAILABLE appearing at the start of the string, so temporarily put a
space at the start of the string:

<?
// UNTESTED
$count = substr_count(' '.strtolower($string), strtolower(' '.$srch));
echo $count;
?>

this won't help if there are newlines and other white space instead of
spaces, and won't help (so far) for a different set of circumstances...

it would be nice to extend substr_count() could be extended to have an
option.

Justin