[snip]
I've created a script that should create these tables, but in testing it,
nothing happens - no tables are created. I wondering whether it's even
possible to create these tables from php?
So, I guess my question is: can I use php to accomplish these tasks, or do I
have to have access to psql (server-side)?
[/snip]

Yes it is possible, and you should include some sort of error checking to
find why you are having problems. I recommend the mysql_error() function as
a good place to start. You'll probably get some sort of permissions problem.

HTH!

Jay