Jeff,

ODBC should work just fine - you can just link --with-iodbc as per the
HOWTOs on www.iodbc.org.
If you use a native driver than the Informix client needs to be
installed on the same box.

Best regards,
Andrew Hill
Director of Technology Evangelism - OpenLink Software
Universal Data Access and the Virtuoso Universal Server
http://www.openlinksw.com/virtuoso/whatis.htm