Found the problem with libmcrypt-2.5.3.  When I configured PHP using
the --with-mcrypt option and the PHP configuration found libmcrypt without a
problem.  After compiling and installing it.

Once I fired up Apache.  I checked the PHP Info using phpinfo() function.
The mcrypt showed up but there is no support ciphers (algorithms & modes).
So, I had to use the php.ini as the PHP Manual stated on
'http://php.net/mcrypt'.  So, I added the two lines as shown in the clipping
where libmcrypt was installed in.

--clip--
mcrypt.algorithms_dir = /usr/local/lib/libmcrypt
mcrypt.modes_dir = /usr/local/lib/libmcrypt
--clip--

That is when PHP Info showed the 'mcrypt.algorithms_dir' and
'mcrypt.modes_dir' with data in it.  But the problem is I still get the
error message when I tried any mcrypt function, the error message range from
being unable to initalize the module to whatever the other error messages
are.  I assumed there's a bug and filed a bug report to PHP but was rejected
because I was told that I had the php.ini incorrect.  That doesn't make
sense.  It took me a long time to find some clues to the problem.  What I
found is that with any files in the "/usr/local/lib/libmcrypt" that end with
*.a and *.la, they don't work.  There is no *.c and *.h files in that
directory.

I discovered that when I set the php.ini to point to the untarred libmcrypt
directory where *.c and *.h are found in both
'/usr/local/src4/libmcrypt-2.5.3/modules/algorithms' and
'/usr/local/src4/libmcrypt-2.5.3/modules/modes'.  That's when the mcrypt
function start working without a problem.  The problem is PHP doesn't work
with the *.la and *.a files.  Again, I saw the OpenSSL directory where *.c
and *.h files are found in both the algorithms and modes directory of the
'/usr/local/ssl/include/openssl/' directory, it work just fine too.

This had lead me to question of whether is there a bug in libmcrypt or php.
You be the judge of it.  It would be so nice if this problem can be
resolved.  I'm not sure if I'm allowed to use the open source code instead
of the compiled codes.