I've just built PHP from source (4.2.3) on Red Hat Linux 7.2 with

configure --with-java --with-apxs=/usr/local/apache/bin/apx

It's running with Apache 1.3.26

PHP work ok, even Java works, but if I try to pass variables from a form
with either POST or GET, the variables don't get through.  This is the code
I'm using:

index.html:
<form action="php.php" method="post">
     Name: <input type="text" name="name"><br>
      <input type="submit">
  </form>

php.php:

<?php
echo "*";
echo $name;
echo "*";
?>

The variable $name is always empty.  I tried this same scripts on the RPM
version installed with Mandrake 7.2 and it worked fine, so it shouldn't be
the scripts.  What could be wrong? Maybe I missed a ./configure option?

Thanks in advance,

Andres