I am curious what method of authentication is preferred by people on
this list.  Are you using PHP scripts for authentication and limiting
access, or are you using HTTP header info.  Maybe it is best to use
both.

For my sites I usually store user info in a database and use php and
sessions to authenticate users, but this doesn't work well with some
server log analyzing software like webalizer (though I insert my own
logs in a database to track user info too).

Is there any reason I should switch to HTTP authentication or some
hybrid system?

By HTTP authentication I am referring to using the PHP_AUTH_USER,
PHP_AUTH_PW, and PHP_AUTH_TYPE variables.
(http://www.php.net/manual/en/features.http-auth.php)

Thanks,

-Jackson