Hey there,

We have a class that sets up a tree structure that represents an e-learning
object made up of nested "components".  We have a function
getPropertyValue($name) which returns the property $name for the current
component.

Now, we want to allow the user to use something like {parent.property} in a
property value, so that it can inherit parts of properties from the parent
component.  For example: caption = "the name of this component's parent is
{parent.name}!"

The following line sort of works:
$retVal =
preg_replace("/(.*){parent.(.*)}(.*)/e","'\\1'.\$this->parentNode->getProper
tyValue('\\2').'\\3'",$retVal);

However, if there are more than one string to replace it only works on the
last one.  So:
caption = "the parent's coordinates are ({parent.left}, {parent.top})" would
only return something like:  "the parent's coordinates are ({parent.left},
100)"

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

Dan