Monty, maybe you can try using a database and PHP together to organize these
photos. A suggestion would be to store only the path to the photos in a
MySQL database, for example, and store the actual photos in the file system.
If you would like to have these photos in a specific order then just create
a field that will number the placement of these photos from 1 to some
number. There are many possibilities on how you can arrange something like
this with a database back-end. You just have to be a little creative while
keeping your needs in mind. Hope that helps.

-- Navid