Really quick answer:

1. consider storing them OFF the server as soon as possible... having
minimal (if any) numbers stored on the live (net connected server) will:
a) make the server a less desireable hack
b) result in less risk in case of a hack
c) be more responsible to your customers

2. install the mcrypt library, do a heap of reading about how to store keys
etc etc and encrypt anything that you store

3. yes, use SSL, but as you are aware, this only encrypts the data during
transit from the user to the server... you need to consider
a) how the numbers are stored
b) where they are stored
c) how the #'s are transferred from the server to you (SSL or encrypt
again!)

Cheers,

on 05/11/02 2:37 AM, adrian [EMAIL PROTECTED]