PHP sends a '401 Authorization required' to your browser (just like apache)
and it also gets the user/password info

Code example:

<?php
    if(!isset($PHP_AUTH_USER)) {
        Header("WWW-Authenticate: Basic Realm=\"Secret Page\"");
        Header("HTTP/1.0 401 Unauthorized");
       echo "You did not log in correctly...\n";
        exit; # exit wil stop php from parsing the rest of the script
    } else {
        echo "Hello $PHP_AUTH_USER. You entered $PHP_AUTH_PW as your
password";
    }
?>

In this example no user/passwd checking is done... just replace the
'welcome' message with your mysql/ldap check routine and voila !

regards,

Ewout de Boer