C.F. Scheidecker Antunes wrote:

The problem is that I do not want and cannot have my message headers with a From: Apache@LocalHost as this copy bellow shows:

I've changed the header variable and put a From in it so it does displays the right FROM: address as bellow. But as you can see, the Received: (from apache@localhost) by servername, etc is there so the spam filters filter it.

Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 19:55:26 -0200
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: Order # 603 (511066220021128194052)
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

My php.ini has an smtp entry but no sendmail is running on the local machine. Do I have to have one running? I wish I did not have to do it. Any other way to fix this issue?

I have not seen any replies to this, I don't think I can see exactly what is wrong but I may be able to provide some pointers for you. I only use the inbuilt mail() function where I do have sendmail running (I thought it was required). The "From:" that you set in the mail() function is coming out correctly. The "received" header showing "apache@localhost" is the first in the list of computers that your email is going through.

It is the webserver that is actually sending the email. On RH7.2 Apache runs as the user "apache" so that is correct. What I cannot understand is that the webserver/computer cannot find its own name (so it comes out as "localhost"). What have you set the hostname of your computer to? It sounds as though it is not set. Have you set the "ServerName" parameter in httpd.conf (leave it commented out)?

What have you set the sendmail_path in php.ini to? I think that it is your computer hostname that is causing the problem.

HTH
Chris