On Saturday 30 November 2002 21:40, Rob Packer wrote:
> Well, the reason I didn't do that at first was that I could have done any
> of the methods that I've tried incorrectly, which is why I figured I'd ask
> what works and then focus on that method... but, I've tried to ping them,
> use fopen, and use fsocketopen... but nothing says that I've used any of
> them the way I should have :)  I also tried to use the scripts that I found
> at hotscripts.com but I always seem to get inconsistent results and it must
> be accurate.

Investigate the use of file(). It should be the most reliable indicator of
whether or not a link is valid.

Using ping on it's own doesn't really help much. A server may be configured to
ignore ping requests. And even if a server responds to a ping request it
doesn't mean the webserver is up and running.

/*
Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing.
                -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
*/