On Wednesday 11 December 2002 23:12, Sean Burlington wrote:

> there simply is no definitive list of words
>
> you can't stop people talking about pussy cats, turkey breasts or even
> shag pile carpets (and words have different meanings from one place to
> the next)
>

> automated filters can be a usefull aid to human moderation - flagging up
> messages for review.
>
> if you want a partial list of offensive terms - try looking at the
> meta keywords on a few porn sites ...

This last paragraph is about the most useful comment on this whole subject :)

The fact is content filtering does not work without a heavy dose of human
intervention.

It is quite shocking that large numbers of well known corporations deploy
misconfigured content-filtering software which rejects perfectly innocent
email.

It is particularly amusing when some 'security-conscious' person in one of
these organisations subscribe to a list discussing for example the latest
virus threats. However said 'security-conscious' person may find that they
receive nothing of importance from the list because messages containing just
*the name* of a known virus is enough for the misconfigured content-filtering
software to step in and reject the message.

/*
I finally went to the eye doctor.  I got contacts.  I only need them to
read, so I got flip-ups.
                -- Steven Wright
*/