On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Kevin Stone wrote:
> Yes that was the obvious solution unfortunately my web host does not have
> crontab installed for users forcing me to seek other solutions.  I have
> asked my web host if they can install crontab and hopefully they respond
> favorably to my request.  If not then I may have a find a host just to do
> this one job which seems like kind of a waste considering we're talking
> about an infantesimal amount of bandwidth (four or five requests per hour).

If lack of cron is the only thing holding you back, there's probably
ways around that.

You can make your PHP script available via the web, and then set up a
home machine to request it every hour (assuming an 'always on'
connection to the net).  If you have a dialup, script your machine to
dialup and request the page whenever you need to.  Windows has the Task
Scheduler, Mac (non-osx) has applescript (I think), and OSX and Linux
have, well, everything.

Otherwise, you could try an online cron service.  Like:

  http://www.cronservice.com/

I have no idea how reliable they are, etc..., but it's likely cheaper
than hosting with a new place.

Joel

--
[ joel boonstra | [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]