Yes, you are right $cookie = $HTTP_COOKIE_VARS["mycookie"]; should be in *else* part

Jason Sheets wrote:

This will always assign the value of $HTTP_COOKIE_VARS["mycookie"] to
$cookie, overwriting the $cookie = $form_value assignment which is what
you want if the page is being reloaded but is not what is desired on the
first page load.

Jason