I have a fresh install of PHP on a Win2k server.  It is installed along with
MySQL to allow me to run and XMB message base on my website.

Everything works great except for the fact that I never receive any email
notification when someone replies to a message I (or anyone else) posts.  I
think the problem is that I don't have the email part of PHP configured
correctly.

I used the php.ini-recommended file to set it up.  In the mail section it
says:

SMTP=localhost

There is a mail server on the local host.

Do I have to install a sendmail app to get this working correctly?

Nothing shows up in the event logs.

One more question, when I make a change to that ini file, do I have to
reboot the machine or just restart IIS?