I find that my the company that I work for is a little over protective.
My machine is quite restricted (as in firewall and accessability) when
it comes to ftp and telnet. Well basically my hands are tied in that
sense.

I am testing my database build on my local machine which runs fine and
all. I am curious though as to how these restrictions may affect my
attempts to send "mail()" I have tried various external SMTP srervers (i
am running off winxp pro) in my php.ini file and I get nothing. Just the
error code I have placed in (below).

<?php

if (mail("[EMAIL PROTECTED]", "this title", "testing"))
  echo "Mail Sent!";
 else
  echo "Mail could not be sent...";

?>

Warning: Failed to connect to mailserver, verify your "SMTP" setting in
php.ini in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\_tasks\email.php on line 21
Mail could not be sent...

Would my local machines restrictions be stopping the mail function from
communicating with the SMTP server??

Cheers