First are you sure the data was not deleted?  If the cookie is still set
in your browser a new session file will be created with the same session
id.

I believe you adjust the session gc and the session max lifetime,
additionally if you are concerned about someone bookmarking a sessionid
or storing it in history take a look at the session.referer_check
configuration directive:

; Check HTTP Referer to invalidate externally stored URLs containing
ids.
; HTTP_REFERER has to contain this substring for the session to be
; considered as valid.
session.referer_check =

Obviously it wont work with some browsers and referer is sent by the
client but every little bit helps.

Jason