Some people don't need it so sophisticated, besides you need your own IP to use SSL, and that's the problem with virtual hosts.

Brent Baisley wrote:

If you want to increase security then you really should use a secure connection, then everything is encrypted as well as other security measures. Even if you do encrypt the password you also need to establish and track a session to make sure it's the same computer you are communicating with, guarding against a hijacked connection.
Besides, using SSL is a heck of a lot easier. Just get a certificate for the server and slap https:// on the front of the URL. I'll admit I summarized the process a bit.