Check out the Smarty tutorial links page from it's site resources section  -
http://smarty.php.net/resources.php?category=0

Also the Smarty manual is excellent - very comprehensive and well written. I
just about taught myself Smarty using this alone.

I think Smarty is the absolute biz when it comes to php template engines;
well worth giving a really good test run.

D.