Hi Ian M. Evans,

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 14:04:15 -0500, you wrote about "[PHP] Converting
accented characters or numeric equivalents to non-accented" something that
looked like this:

>Does anyone have a quick PHP function for converting accented characters to
>their non-accented forms? It would really help a lot with Amazon searches,
>etc.

Not sure about quick, but the only way I've found that works with 100%
guarantee everytime is to take the string and check it character by
character, and if the ascii value is > 128, simply replace it with the
ascii value marker...

something like this (untested):

for ($i = 0; $i < strlen($string_to_parse); $i++) {
  $char = substr($string_to_parse, $i, 1);
  if (ord($char) > 128) {
    $output_string .= "&#".ord($char).";";
  }
  else {
    $output_string .= $char;

You may need to test for value 127 ... not sure if it starts on 0 or 1
that is...

The above structure is what I use constantly to do this...

HTH

Rene

--
Rene Brehmer

This message was written on 100% recycled spam.

Come see! My brand new site is now online!
http://www.metalbunny.net