php-general Digest 19 Jan 2003 15:28:36 -0000 Issue 1832

Topics (messages 132158 through 132180):

Re: 2 Qs: Passing current URL with session and how to avoid session timeout???
        132158 by: -<[ Rene Brehmer ]>-
        132159 by: -<[ Rene Brehmer ]>-
        132160 by: Justin French

Re: Can I use php to load a icon?????(.ico .exe .....)
        132161 by: hei

Re: SQL+php
        132162 by: John W. Holmes
        132163 by: John W. Holmes
        132165 by: Sean Malloy
        132172 by: Thomas Seifert
        132173 by: Sean Burlington
        132178 by: Chris Hewitt

Re: Free PHP Hosts?
        132164 by: JJ Harrison

CVS In PHP
        132166 by: Trilochan
        132171 by: JJ Harrison

File Upload
        132167 by: Trilochan
        132169 by: John W. Holmes

whois script or class
        132168 by: Ashley M. Kirchner
        132170 by: Jason k Larson

How know how many sessions are active?
        132174 by: Jeremías Grunge
        132176 by: Justin French

Re: PHP Encoders and GPL License
        132175 by: Zeev Suraski
        132177 by: Larry Brown
        132179 by: michael kimsal

Re: Changing order of just one array item?
        132180 by: Leif K-Brooks

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--- Begin Message ---
Hi Cal Evans,

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 10:17:01 -0600, you wrote about "RE: [PHP] 2 Qs:
Passing current URL with session and how to avoid session timeout???"
something that looked like this:

>I guess I'm dense this morning. In response to 1:
>
>$_SESSION['mother']=$_SERVER['PHP_SELF'];

Didn't know the server array existed ... where I'd find that in the
manual??? Only doc I've got to run from...

>and then

>or better yet...

Wouldn't that produce a link to the current url, rather than the previous?

>as to #2:
>I usually just pass this kind of info around on the URL.
>
>http://mypage.com/mypage.php?prevURL=http://mypage.com/lastpage.php
>
>if I have to pass a full query string then I urlencode() it first and
>urldecode() it on the other side.

I can't do that reliably, my URLs are simply too long on some occasions
... so the URL ends up getting the end cut off...

But apparently the sessions expiring isn't an issue afterall ... have had
the page loaded for several hours, and the recursive linkage still works
... Will have to upload to my webhost though before I can be absolutely
certain ... Retaining matching settings in my test-enviro is not entirely
possible because their Apache is older than mine...and they run with
globals on, and I design for them off, just to be safe...

Rene
--
Rene Brehmer

This message was written on 100% recycled spam.

Come see! My brand new site is now online!
http://www.metalbunny.net
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi Justin French,

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 12:01:45 +1100, you wrote about "Re: [PHP] 2 Qs:
Passing current URL with session and how to avoid session timeout???"
something that looked like this:

>1. If you require the back button to work forever, then do not use sessions,
>because they're not designed to be a forever thing.

I only need the session to pass the url on to the next page ... once there
the old URL will be written into the HTML code... The only reasons I need
to do it with sessions is because my urls are too long for the encoded url
to be transfered reliably within the url...

>2. I do this sort of stuff by building my own URL from $_SERVER components:

I haven't found the server array in the manual (yet anyway), so I'm not
sure what exactly it is you're doing ... so a bit of 'splaining would be
nice ... I'm only on my 4th month of PHP'ing afterall ...

><?
>$script = $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'];
>$qs = $_SERVER['QUERY_STRING'];
>$currentURL = base64_encode($script."?".$qs);
>?>
>
>The reason why I base64_encode() it is so that the vars=values of the

I don't have that problem. Variables aren't reausable because I'm doing
divide and conquer design ... that way I can prevent the code from being
too complex and requiring to many variables to work. Thus my variables
differ from master page to master page, all the common ones are rewritten
on each page load (as it only controls the menu links to be linked
correctly up/down folder levels).

>I the link to the second page might be something like:

>on page.php, to establish a back button:
>
><? $ref = base64_decode($ref) ?>
>
>3.  This way, the referring/mother URL is always attached to that URL... if
>they bookmark it, of give it to a friend, it's always there... sessions
>don't achieve this, and cookies usually can, apart from the usual cookie
>problems.

Apparently the trans_sid being on (or 1 as it is) makes the sid transfer
correctly everytime, atleast with my current setup ... which is this:

On mother:

  $_SESSION['mother'] = "girlz.php?locat=$loc&list=$list&year=$year";

On child:

        if ($name != "") {
          $backlink = "<div align=\"center\"><a
href=\"".$_SESSION['mother']."\" class=\"bldlink\" title=\"Get back to
          echo($backlink);
        }

And before you ask, the reason the backlink is in a variable is because
it's reused a couple times down the page.

The above is, of course, only part of the code. It checks for alot more
stuff in the child file. Still have to work out how to ensure that the
backlink will produce a workable return link even when the page is
launched without a call from a mother page...

But that'll have to wait until morning ... it's 4.45 AM here now ;-) ...
gotta get some snooze...

Rene

--

on 19/01/03 2:45 PM, -<[ Rene Brehmer ]>- ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> I haven't found the server array in the manual (yet anyway), so I'm not
> sure what exactly it is you're doing ... so a bit of 'splaining would be
> nice ... I'm only on my 4th month of PHP'ing afterall ...

http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.variables.predefined.php

Justin

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I mean how can I edit icon???

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
> .....it's an log for a VoIp network, evrey voip has an ip and i whant
> that instad of the VoIp's IP to put his name, instad of "1.1.1.1:xxx"
must
> be "jhon doe form yyy city", it's easier to read for the people who
that
> follow the logs. .. that's it ...

So where do you get the name from. You're still not being descriptive
enough.

---John W. Holmes...

PHP Architect - A monthly magazine for PHP Professionals. Get your copy
today. http://www.phparch.com/

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
> I see a lot of these type of answers on the list at the moment.
>
> I'm sick of receiving smart ass answers from people. It wastes my
time,
> and
> my bandwidth.
>
> Either answer the fucking question, even if it hasn't been asked
> correctly,
> or don't reply at all.
>
> Given you are a 'PHP Professional' John, I would expect a little more
from
> you.

It's _for_ PHP Professionals. If I read a Woman's magazine, does that
make me a woman?

Anyhow, answers like this are a good way for people to learn not to ask
Yes or No questions. There's even a funny FAQ on this, but I can't find
the link anywhere.

---John Holmes...

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I apologise for calling you a PHP Professional, clearly I was mistaken.

;)

From: Leif K-Brooks [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] Sent: Sunday, 19 January 2003 12:36 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [PHP] Changing order of just one array item?

I need to change where one item is ordered in an array. I know how to sory an array, but I need to move one item up/down in the array. Example: $array is: 0 => "element one" 1 => "element two" 2 => "element three" 3 => "element four" I call array_order_up($array[1]) and $array is now: 0 => "element one" 2 => "element three" 1 => "element two" 3 => "element four"

If there aren't any native functions to do this, can anyone think of a way to make my own function to do this?

--
The above message is encrypted with double rot13 encoding. Any unauthorized attempt to decrypt it will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.