I am trying to set the order of a set of categories. Previously the
catid field sorted the order of the categories. However I changed this
to Order By catorder and then set about writing a simple update query to
allow people to set the order.

I can't see anything wrong with this:
Basically I pull the details from the categories DB into an array and
then display in a table. This works fine
<?
while ($array = mysql_fetch_array($mysql))
{
echo "<input type='hidden' name='categoryid'
value='{$array["catid"]}'>";
echo "{$array["catname"]}";
echo "</td><td><input type='text' size='2' name='catorder'
value='{$array["catorder"]}'>";
}
?>
Then using this to update it seems to work till you check the update. It
sets the first two fields to one for some reason.
$query = "update categories
             set catorder = '$catorder'
             where catid='$categoryid'";

Any suggestions?