php-general Digest 25 Jan 2003 20:33:38 -0000 Issue 1844

Topics (messages 133089 through 133122):

If... Else.. I'm not getting it!
        133089 by: Frank Keessen
        133091 by: Jason Wong
        133092 by: Frank Keessen
        133093 by: Johannes Schlueter
        133094 by: Frank Keessen
        133095 by: Rich Gray
        133097 by: Frank Keessen
        133114 by: Jason Wong

Re: memory exhausted... memory leak?
        133090 by: Tularis

Script under Windows OK, under Linux, not...
        133096 by: Daniel Page
        133099 by: Daniel Page

Re: Designing My First Content Management System
        133098 by: Geckodeep

Re: PHP and XML mailing list
        133100 by: Dirkjan Ochtman

Re: Sendmail function
        133101 by: Chris Hewitt

Re: Evaluate PHP var in stored sql statement?
        133102 by: Noah
        133118 by: Maxim Maletsky
        133119 by: Noah

PHP 4.3.0 - Apache 2 Problem - Missing phpinfo() Info
        133103 by: Kenneth Lerman

OO2relation mapping
        133104 by: Dominik Wittenbeck

Re: get apache user
        133105 by: Tommy Jensehaugen
        133112 by: Jason Wong

Re: [SOAP] Re: soap post and http 1.1 100 continue
        133106 by: Danny Shepherd

Switch statement || How to output html without using echo() or print()
        133107 by: Noah
        133109 by: John W. Holmes
        133110 by: Johannes Schlueter
        133113 by: Leif K-Brooks
        133115 by: Noah
        133116 by: Noah
        133117 by: Noah

Adjusting Indexed Field After Deleting Entry
        133108 by: Guru Geek

question about interaction between own state information...
        133111 by: Juerg Zgraggen

GD jpg thumbnail - ugly discollored
        133120 by: Victor
        133121 by: George E. Papadakis
        133122 by: Victor

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--- Begin Message ---
Hi all,

Please can you help me with the following:

If got a little sample code:

This one is working (!):

<?php
$vname=$_POST['vname'];
echo "hello $vname";
?>
<form action="<? echo ($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']); ?>" method=post>
</form>
<?php

?>

But when i'm using IF Else.. Nothing is happening. I'm only seeing the form but when i
submit that form: The $vname doen't display..

Here is the code that doesn't work:

<?php
$vname=$_POST['vname'];
if($submit) {
echo "hello $vname";
} else {
?>
<form action="<? echo ($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']); ?>" method=post>
</form>
<?php
}
?>

What am I doing wrong???

Thanks,

Frank

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Saturday 25 January 2003 18:27, Frank Keessen wrote:

> But when i'm using IF Else.. Nothing is happening. I'm only seeing the form
> but when i submit that form: The $vname doen't display..
>
> Here is the code that doesn't work:
>
> <?php
> $vname=$_POST['vname'];
> if($submit) {

Try some basic debugging techniques like echo ($submit). You'll see nothing,
hence that IF clause fails.

If register_globals is not enabled then you need to use $_POST['submit'] (just
as you had to use $_POST['vname']).

/*
Confidence is simply that quiet, assured feeling you have before you
fall flat on your face.
                -- Dr. L. Binder
*/

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi,

The register_globals = Off. Dit the basic echo ($submit) but it displays
nothing..

Any thoughts somebody??

Thanks for helping me out on this cloudy saturday (in Amsterdam!)

Regards,

Frank

> On Saturday 25 January 2003 18:27, Frank Keessen wrote:
>
> > But when i'm using IF Else.. Nothing is happening. I'm only seeing the
form
> > but when i submit that form: The $vname doen't display..
> >
> > Here is the code that doesn't work:
> >
> > <?php
> > $vname=$_POST['vname'];
> > if($submit) {
>
> Try some basic debugging techniques like echo ($submit). You'll see
nothing,
> hence that IF clause fails.
>
> If register_globals is not enabled then you need to use $_POST['submit']
(just
> as you had to use $_POST['vname']).
>
> --
> Jason Wong -> Gremlins Associates -> www.gremlins.biz
> Open Source Software Systems Integrators
> * Web Design & Hosting * Internet & Intranet Applications Development *
>
> /*
> Confidence is simply that quiet, assured feeling you have before you
> fall flat on your face.
> -- Dr. L. Binder
> */

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi,

On Saturday 25 January 2003 12:18, Frank Keessen wrote:
> The register_globals = Off. Dit the basic echo ($submit) but it displays
> nothing..
>
> Any thoughts somebody??

Switch on register_globals or (better!) use $_GET['submit'], $_POST['submit']
or $_REQUEST['submit'].

> Thanks for helping me out on this cloudy saturday (in Amsterdam!)

johannes
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi,

Thanks, but i'm a kind of a newbie in PHP and what i've read it's better to
have the register_globals = Off!!! If you look at my code you see that i'm
using the $_GET variable.. This works fine!! It's the IF.. ELSE what gives
me a lot of trouble!

Frank

On Saturday 25 January 2003 12:18, Frank Keessen wrote:
> The register_globals = Off. Dit the basic echo ($submit) but it displays
> nothing..
>
> Any thoughts somebody??

Switch on register_globals or (better!) use $_GET['submit'],
$_POST['submit']
or $_REQUEST['submit'].

> Thanks for helping me out on this cloudy saturday (in Amsterdam!)

johannes

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
You are using the post method not get so $_GET[] should be empty.

Does this version of your code work?

<?php
if(isset($_POST['submit'])) {
        $vname=$_POST['vname'];
        echo "hello $vname";
} else {
?>
<form action="<? echo ($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']); ?>" method=post>
</form>
<?php
}
?>

Rich
Thanks, but i'm a kind of a newbie in PHP and what i've read it's better to
have the register_globals = Off!!! If you look at my code you see that i'm
using the $_GET variable.. This works fine!! It's the IF.. ELSE what gives
me a lot of trouble!

Frank

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Wow!! It worked... Sorry for the confusion about the get!!

Thanks guys, i can go further!!! Have a nice weekend!

Regards,

Frank
> You are using the post method not get so $_GET[] should be empty.
>
> Does this version of your code work?
>
> <?php
> if(isset($_POST['submit'])) {
> $vname=$_POST['vname'];
> echo "hello $vname";
> } else {
> ?>
> <form action="<? echo ($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']); ?>" method=post>
> </form>
> <?php
> }
> ?>
>
> Rich

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Saturday 25 January 2003 19:18, Frank Keessen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The register_globals = Off. Dit the basic echo ($submit) but it displays
> nothing..
>
> Any thoughts somebody??

> > If register_globals is not enabled then you need to use $_POST['submit']
>
> (just
>
> > as you had to use $_POST['vname']).

!!??!!

/*
In matters of principle, stand like a rock;
in matters of taste, swim with the current.
                -- Thomas Jefferson
*/

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- It worked fine till I changed database (just the database-name). Here is the script that is executed untill the line 61:

- - - GLOBAL.PHP- - -
<?php
// Pre-load vars
$settings = array();
$database = array();
define('XE_VERSION', '0.03a');
define('XE_BUILD', '2003012319');
// Require important Files
require './config.inc.php';
require './libs/error.lib.php';
---------------------------------
- - - CONFIG.INC.PHP - - -
<?php
$database['host'] = 'localhost';
$database['port'] = '3306';
$database['name'] = 'XEngine';
$database['user'] = '';
$database['pass'] = '';
$database['type'] = 'mysql3x';
$database['persistent'] = (bool) false;
$database['status'] = 'off';

$settings['template_type'] = 'file'; // Takes only 'file' or 'db'
$settings['pre'] = 'xe_';
?>
------------------------------
- - - ERROR.LIB.PHP - - -
<?php
class error{
var $cache;
var $last;
var $show;
var $die;
function error(){
$this->cache = array();
$this->last = '';
$this->show = 4;
$this->die = 1;
define('XE_FATAL', 0);
define('XE_ERROR', 1);
define('XE_WARNING', 2);
define('XE_MINOR', 3);
define('XE_NOTICE', 4);
}
function set($show=4, $die=1){
$this->show = $show;
$this->die = $die;
return true;
}
function report($msg, $type){
global $output;

if($type <= $this->show){
$this->cache[] = $type.'-|-'.$msg;
$this->last = $type.'-|-'.$msg;
if($this->die >= $type){
$output->finish();
return true;
}
function show($which='all'){
$array = array(
0 => 'FATAL ERROR',
1 => 'ERROR',
2 => 'WARNING',
3 => 'MINOR ERROR',
4 => 'NOTICE'
);
if($which=='all'){
foreach($this->cache as $cache){
$errors = explode('-|-', $cache);
$type = $errors[0];
$msg = $errors[1];
// line 61 $return[] = array($array[$type], $msg);

I hope you can help me with this, because (on the same server), just 2 dirs away, the same script is running smoothly... :S
- Tularis

John W. Holmes wrote:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to
allocate 35 bytes) in
/home/virtual/site8/fst/var/www/html/staff/libs/error.lib.php on line

61

I suddenly got this error on one of my sites, and after rechecking the
script, it shouldn't be happenning :S

Anyway, I was wondering if this would be a memroy leak? or just some
standard notice that I'm taking up too much memory ;)

What were you doing when it happened?

---John W. Holmes...

PHP Architect - A monthly magazine for PHP Professionals. Get your copy
today. http://www.phparch.com/

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi,

I have the following code :

$_fp = fopen("/home/dh2240/mgt/index.php", "a+") or die();
$_contents = fread($_fp,filesize("/home/dh2240/mgt/index.php"));
fclose ($_fp);
//Menu elements
$_sme = strpos("$_contents","sub_menu_elements");
echo "sme = $_sme<p>";

It should display somthing like "sme = 850", after finding the string in the
specified file.

Under windows, this script works fine (except replacing the
"/home/dh2240/mgt/index.php" by "c:/apache/htdocs/mgt/index.php")... it
seems that the file index.php cannot be opened under linux...
The file is chmod 777, along with the directory /mgt, and the files
identical, but still no luck... The fopen does not die(), but it does not
seem to read any data from the file... I'm confused, and not sure how to
check what is happening... Anyone got any ideas ?

Cheers,
Daniel

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
It could be somthing to do with my hoster running Linux in Safe Mode... I am
not sure what this could entail, so I'll keep looking. Again, if anyone has
any info, it would be appreciated!!!

Cheers,
Daniel

"Daniel Page" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit dans le message news:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Hi,
>
> I have the following code :
>
> $_fp = fopen("/home/dh2240/mgt/index.php", "a+") or die();
> $_contents = fread($_fp,filesize("/home/dh2240/mgt/index.php"));
> fclose ($_fp);
> file://Menu elements
> $_sme = strpos("$_contents","sub_menu_elements");
> echo "sme = $_sme<p>";
>
> It should display somthing like "sme = 850", after finding the string in
the
> specified file.
>
> Under windows, this script works fine (except replacing the
> "/home/dh2240/mgt/index.php" by "c:/apache/htdocs/mgt/index.php")... it
> seems that the file index.php cannot be opened under linux...
> The file is chmod 777, along with the directory /mgt, and the files
> identical, but still no luck... The fopen does not die(), but it does not
> seem to read any data from the file... I'm confused, and not sure how to
> check what is happening... Anyone got any ideas ?
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I my self is in the same situation I've started of with a great book
http://www.essential-series.com/essential_php.htm which should give you some
idea how to begin and the other one i bought which i am still waiting is
"Building a Database-Driven Web Site Using PHP and MySql" by Kevin Yank.
with these two books you should get head started in CMS.
Good luck.
geckodeep

"Chris Shiflett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> --- Guru Geek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Does anyone out there have any working examples
> > of a PHP based CMS?
>
> http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=PHP+CMS&section=projects
>
> Chris

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
When will this show up at the news server?

"Sterling Hughes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
1043463814.795.97.camel@hasele">news:1043463814.795.97.camel@hasele...
> A mailing list for discussing the future of PHP and XML development has
> been created.  You can subscribe by sending a message to
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (normal ezmlm commands apply).  This
> mailing list is _only_ intended for actual php extension and api
> development, user support questions should remain on
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> -Sterling
>
> --
> "Nothing is particularly hard if you divide it into small jobs."
>     - Henry Ford

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Christian Ista wrote:

Hello,

A friend would like to know how to check on the server (dedicated) if the
function sendmail is enable or not, how ? if not activated how activate ?

Thanks,

If I understand your question correctly (and I may not):

Assuming RedHat linux, then as root "which sendmail" should return you something like "/usr/sbin/sendmail". This would tell you that it is installed. "ps ax | grep sendmail" should give you "sendmail: accepting connections". This would mean that it is running.

If it is installed but not running, then "chkconfig --list sendmail" will list the runlevels that it is set to run under. Normally it is 2, 3, 4 and 5. "chkconfig --level 2345 sendmail on" will set it to run at those runlevels, and "service sendmail start" will start it up immediately if it is not running.

Hope this helps

Chris

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Thanks for your help Maxim.

I've got quite a bit to learn.  PHP is far more challenging than Cold
Fusion.........

--Noah