> > sense to me that this "feature" get another look.  I can see no logical
> > reason to not allow . in the global $_POST variable...
> >   Basically, what I'd like is to be able to post a form element with
> > id="myvariable.whatever" and access it on the next page with
> > $_POST["myvariable.whatever"].
>
> Here's just one of many good reasons ...
>
> // obviously this is some busted garbage
> $name.Array["first"]="Chris";
> $name.Array["last"]="Wesley";
> $name=$name.Array["first"]." ".$name.Array["last"];

That assumes register_globals is ON, though, which isn't recommended. If you
read the questions, the poster talks about using the value such as
$_POST['name.Array'], which is valid. Since it's encouraged to have register
globals OFF, I think they should do aways with this period to underscore
thing, also. It will only jack up people's code that rely on
register_globals and they should be changing it anyhow.

---John Holmes...