Can anyone point to information on how to install mcrypt support for PHP. I tried the PHP mcrypt pages but they are quite lacking in details.

I downloaded libmcrypt and got that installed fine.

I also downloaded mcrypt (do I really need it?) but that wouldn't configure. It complains that:

checking for libmcrypt - version >= 2.5.0... no
*** Could not run libmcrypt test program, checking why...
*** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means
*** that the run-time linker is not finding LIBMCRYPT or finding the wrong ...

I tried compiling PHP with --with-mcrypt=/usr/src/mcrypt-2.6.3/ (the locate of the mcrypt source files) but that gave me an error when I did make:

cc1: warning: changing search order for system directory "/usr/local/include"
cc1: warning: as it has already been specified as a non-system directory
/usr/src/php-4.3.0/ext/mcrypt/mcrypt.c:229:1: warning: "MCRYPT_FAILED" redefined
In file included from /usr/src/php-4.3.0/ext/mcrypt/mcrypt.c:34:
[...]

Questions:

1- Do I need both libmcrypt AND mcrypt?
2- What is the installation procedure? I tried the obvious "./configure && make" combination but to no avail ...

Thanks!

Jc