On Wednesday 12 February 2003 07:46, Chris Wesley wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Christopher Ditty wrote:
> > Chris, Did you read the rest of the message?  It sounds like the web
>
> Yes, I read your entire message.
>
> > host is saying that
> > someone can access PHP FTP from an outside server and hack into the
> > server.
>
> That's precisely NOT what the hosting provider said (at least it's not
> what my appreciation for running a secured web host led me to believe they
> said).  I don't expect you to be a security expert, but think with me
> through a very common scenario sysadmins must account for.  I'll use the
> word "you" in a general sense:

I think you're giving that hosting provider more credit than they deserve.
Their reply really puts across the impression (fact?) that they are clueless.

>   You access an FTP server with a user name and a password to retrieve a
>   file via PHP FTP.  The user name and password is the same that grants
>   you access to your hosting providers server.  (People do this
>   v.frequently.  Most people have trouble remembering one
>   username/password, so they make the dangerous choice to use one
>   username/password over and over again.)  A malicious individual sniffs
>   your username and password while you transfer a file via FTP from to you
>   hosting provider.  Once the individual has his way with your FTP site
>   using your credentials, (s)he does the obvious next step ... attempts to
>   use the same credentials to gain access to your hosting providers
>   server.

Even they they are not clueless and they were trying to say what you're
saying, it is still a very poor argument.

So they allow incoming FTP (presumably that's what people use to upload their
site) but disallow outgoing FTP because someone might sniff the
username/password? Does it make sense?

[snip]

> Ws-ftp uses plain-text authentication.  The FTP extension to PHP uses
> plain-text authentication.  (Neither has a choice, since FTP is a
> plain-text protocol.)  They both present security risks for the same
> reason.

A security risk in that someone might be able to get your login credentials
and upload stuff to your FTP space, BUT not necessarily a security risk to
the server itself. Modern FTP servers support virtual users and chroot so the
risk of server compromise is minimised.