I'm trying to piece apart someone's code to see exactly what it is they're
trying to do - This code was written for PHP 3.x, so it's not quite as
nice as 4 (with $_POST, $_GET, $_SESSION, etc).  There's this one part in
particular that I have no idea what's trying to be done:

if (isset ($cookie)) {
   while (list ($name, $value) = each ($cookie)) {
      $$name = $value;

I'm assuming the $cookie array has cookie info stored in it, and it's
trying to pull the data out of the array.  The 2 parts of this I don't
really understand are lines 2 and 3, 3 in particular.  I'm guessing it's
assigning $name the index, $value the element - What's really stumping me
here though is the $$name = $value.  What is a variable with $$ in front
of it signify, and what is this trying to do?  Any thoughts on this one?
Thanks.