On 13 Feb 2003 at 17:00, Darren Young wrote:

> I'm looking around for some options on using templates with PHP. I've
> used several Perl solutions in the past, but never tried it in PHP.
> Digging on the web yields several options so I'd love some thoughts or
> comments. The real driver is that the basic site design could change
> over time and I'd like to have the basic HTML in the templates, and the
> real logic in the PHP code.

Well, it seems every Perl programmer at one point or another wrote
their own templating system. I went from my own to HTML::Template to
a big fan of Template::Toolkit. The best one imho in PHP is Smarty.
I'd rank it up there with Template::Toolkit. Take a look:

http://smarty.php.net/

Of course it's very easy to change not only the look and feel but the
actual layout and everything else about it.

Best thing about not writing your own personal propriertary system is
you benefit from the world at at large. I haven't used Smarty in a
awhile as I've been mired in a CMS but I just recently had a chance
to use it and I see it has been improving.  Take a good look at it.

Peter
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go
away".
-- Philip K. Dick